SADD - Students Against Destructive Decisions (Louisburg College Chapter)
Sponsor - Fonda Porter
Mission Statement: To provide students with the best prevention and intervention tools possible to deal with the issues of
underage drinking, other drug use, impaired driving, and other destructive decisions. Originally, the mission of the SADD
chapter was to help young people say "No" to drinking and driving. Today, the mission has expanded. Students have told us that
positive peer pressure, role models, and other strategies can help them refuse more than drinking and driving. That is why
SADD has become a peer leadership organization dedicated to preventing destructive decisions, particularly underage drinking,
other drug use, impaired driving, teen violence, and teen depression and suicide.
- Despite increased public and legislative awareness, the abuse of legal and illegal alcohol and other drugs is rampant in our
society. The consequences of alcohol abuse and drug addiction are devastating and post a major threat to the young
people of our society. No age group is more vulnerable to the tragic consequences of this abuse and addiction than
college students and other young adults.
- College students across the nation have begun to band together to fight the substance abuse problem affecting their campuses.
Innovative SADD programs have highlighted the power of college students to effectively deal with critical problems. The
SADD College raises alcohol and other drug awareness and demonstrates the students' desire to address these issues in a
positive, responsible way.
- The SADD College Program provides a unique opportunity for college students and college administrators to work together to
eliminate alcohol abuse, fatalities, and other destructive decisions. This important team of dedicated young people working
together can make a difference.
The Louisburg College SADD Chapter has three major components:
- Campus activities
- Community awareness
Activities include programs in the areas of:
- Impaired Driving
- Substance Abuse
- Sexual Health
- Youth Empowerment
- Mental Health
- Local and national conferences
Meetings & Membership
- Meetings are twice a month, usually in the evening
- Membership ranges between 12 and 15 students